How a new job impacts home and auto insurance

If your new job means some changes in your routine, it might require some changes to your home and auto insurance.

A new job can be an exciting new start. It can also mean some lifestyle changes. Many jobs today are implementing policies that include flexible hours, working from home and an increase in travel opportunities. 

Here are some considerations to talk about with your insurance agent when you are starting a new job. 

For your car insurance:

  • If you will be using your private vehicle for business purposes, check with your employer and your agent to make sure you have adequate liability coverage in case of an accident. 
  • If the number of miles you commute changes, check with your independent agent. You may be able to save some money on your policy. 
  • If you're renting a car for business purposes, your employer may already have an insurance policy in place. But, your personal coverage might also be needed to pay for damage in some cases.
  • If you now take public transportation and only use your car for pleasure trips then, your rates may be lowered so check with your independent agent.

For home insurance:

  • If you have office equipment in the house, such as a laptop or printer, talk to your agent to make sure it's covered on your homeowner insurance policy.
  • If you're now self-employed, doing out-sourced work or consulting, you may need to purchase professional liability coverage.
  • If clients come to your home, you may need to purchase a home business or a small businessowners policy. 

Let your independent agent know if you have any other questions or concerns about your job transition. 

  Make sure your business property - computers, office furniture and supplies, valuable...